There is nothing better than a warm delicious bowl of green chile stew when it is snowing outside. Growing up in New Mexico green chile is everywhere and so is green chile stew. The downfall to green chile stew is that it is normally high carb, so I have been wanting to make a low carb version and this recipe is amazing!
One of the main staples in green chile stew is potatoes, but of course those are not something we would ideally eat, and I have tried radishes and those are a great substitute but Chayote squash is a great substitute for potatoes especially in a stew, they taste so similar!
The spice from the chile in this stew will warm your tummy! Here in New Mexico it is very easy for us to get green chile, but if you are not from here check your local Walmart and check the freezer section for green chile.
- 2 pound Stew Meat
- 2 whole Chayote Squash, peeled
- 1 whole Tomatoes
- 1 cup Green Chile
- 1 cup Bone Broth
- 6 cups Water
- 1 tsp Pink Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 whole Garlic Cloves
- Place the meat in a skillet and cook it until fully cooked.
- Peel the chayote and dice it up. Dice up the tomatoes as well.
- Add all of the ingredients into the instant pot (or you can use a crock pot or pot on the stove.
- If cooking in the instant pot then set to manual for 90 minutes.
- If cooking in the crock pot then cook for about 3 hours on high.
- If cooking on the stove top then cook for about an hour on med/high or until the the squash in soft.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 Bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9.3gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 170mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g
Have you made this recipe? Shared it on Instagram?
Tag us @lowcarbcupboard and #lowcarbcupboard